9/4/16

This week's round-up of middle grade fantasy and sci fi from around the blogs (9/4/16)

Welcome to this week's worth of my blog-reading gleanings.  Please let me know if I missed your post!

The Reviews

An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories book 5), by Chris Colfer, at Say What?

The Bronze Key, by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, at The Book Wars

Curse of the Boggin (The Library, Book 1): D.J. MacHale, at Jen Robinson's Book Page

Eden's Escape, by M. Tara Crowl, at Word Spelunking

Escape from Wolfhaven Castle, by Kate Forsyth, at Kid Lit Reviews

Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine, at Read Till Dawn

Furthermore, by Tahereh Mafi, at Book Munchies

Fuzzy, by Tom Angleberger and Paul Dellinger, at Geo Librarian

The Girl Who Drank the Moon, by Kelly Barnhill, at Abby the Librarian

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, by Christopher Healy, at The Daily Prophecy

The Hollow Boy, by Jonathan Stroud, at Sonderbooks (audiobook review)

Joshua and the Arrow Realm, by Donna Galanti, at The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow

The Littlest Bigfoot, by Jennifer Weiner, at Word Spelunking

Lug: Blast from the North, by David Zeltser, at Kid Lit Reviews

Missy Piggle-Wiggle and the Whatever Cute, by Ann M. Martin with Annie Parnell, at The Book Wars

Not as We Know It, by Tom Avery, at Waking Brain Cells

Nurk, by Ursula Vernon, at Got My Book

The Peculiar Night of the Blue Heart, by Lauren DeStefano, at Hidden In Pages

A Posse of Princesses, by Sherwood Smith, at Leaf's Reviews

The Rat Prince, by Bridget Hodder, at On Starships and Dragonwings

The Scourge, by Jennifer Nielsen, at Charlotte's Library and Cracking the Cover

Shadow House (The Gathering Book 1), by Dan Poblocki, at Ms. Yingling Reads

Shadow Magic, by Joshua Khan, at Random Musings of a Bibliophile

Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den, by Aimée Carter at Jen Robiinson's Book Page

Talking to Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede, at Lunar Rainbows

When the Sea Turned to Silver, by Grace Lin, at School Library Journal

Withering-by-Sea by Judith Rossell, at Leaf's Reviews

The Zodiac Legacy: Convergence, by Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, and Andie Tong, at The Book Monsters

Giveaways

The Littlest Bigfoot, by Jennifer Weiner, at Word Spelunking

Eden's Escape, by M. Tara Crowl, at Word Spelunking

Furtheremore, by Tahereh Mafi, at Bewitched Bookworms

Other Good Stuff

The Cybils Awards are still seeking panelists (you have until Sept. 14 to apply)!  MG speculative fiction is one of the categories (with me as its organizer)....the gist of it, if you don't already know, is that panels of judges made of people who review books on line read lots and lots of books in their category between October and the end of December, and then hand over a shortlist to a second round of judges to pick the winner.  If you are daunted by the idea of a reading list of 150 books, keep in mind that you will already have read lots of the, you don't have to finish a book that clearly is not working for you, and there are categories with a much easier reading load than the MG and YA Spec. Fic. and regular fiction categories!  Graphic novels, for instance, is relatively easy reading-wise, and they could use some good folks..... It is a lot of fun!  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.


On reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, by Grace Lin, with a third grade class, at Nerdy Book Club

It's time for R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril XI, (RIP) the seasonally appropriate reading challenge....

And speaking of Dark Stuff, here's a Tuesday Ten of it at Views from the Tesseract

Scholasitc releases the cover design for Fantastic Beasts: the Original Screenplay



4 comments:

  1. One of your posts last week inspired me and I applied to be a Cybil panelist/judge. I am still pretty new, and might not get selected, but I am trying to become more involved in the community.

    I selected audiobooks as my first choice, since I didn't know if they would get a lot of applications for that one. MG Spec Fic was my 2nd choice.

    I am really searching to try and find more SF selections, since the market is heavily tilted towards fantasy right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that and was glad-- good for you! I feel there's a bit more sci fi than there was ten years ago, but I agree it's fantasy heavy.

      Delete
    2. I am planning to go through your topical lists for some possible books. And I may do some SF focused lists of my own.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a fiction list? I might have missed it, but that is what my kiddos are into. Right now they are reading Silencing Sharks by John Hope. They love it so they won't be too long finishing it.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles